1. Take care of what enters the tank. One way to escalate the lifespan of a septic tank is to be mindful about the types of things you place in it. Make certain that you don’t put any cooking oil, coffee grounds, diapers, cigarette ends, fats, napkins, wet tissues and other non-biodegradable substances in the septic tank. These non-biodegradable substances have the capability to cause an obstruction in the septic tank necessitating a pricey repair job.
2. Maintain the drain field. The drain field is the main section of your septic tank which aids to take away the solid wastes from the liquid ones. Here are a number of tips that can assist you to preserve your drain field for so long. Be certain not to park your car close to the drain field. Be certain that the trees are planted at a safe distance from the drain field in order to keep the roots from growing in the drain field or close to it. In addition, be certain to keep the drainage water systems such as the gutters and sump pumps away from the drain field area.
3. Assess the septic tank every now and then. In order to prolong the normal functioning of a septic tank, it is vital that you have a periodic inspection as well as proper upkeep of the septic tank by a profession.
4. Take advantage of pumping services. In order for the solid wastes to be properly broken down, pumping out of the septic tank every two years is very important. Pumping the septic tank from time to time will not only help in increasing the life of the tank, but then again, prevent system failure as well.
5. Regulate the usage of household chemicals. Keep in mind that too much use of household chemicals such as drain cleaner, bleach and detergent to mention a few can lead the septic tank to malfunction. The household chemicals are capable of stopping the action of the bacteria present in the tank which is responsible for the breakdown of waste products.
6. Ask some help from the experts. With regards to regular cleaning and maintenance of the septic tank, it is crucial that you rely on the assistance of the professionals. The septic tank service provider will visit your place and meticulously assess your septic tank for signs of leaks as well as damages. They will examine the scum and the sludge layers so as to find out what is the source of the problem. And each time you find a very small problem with your septic tank, it is highly recommended to be certain that you call a professional for help.